Saturday, December 21, 2019

LET GO OF WRONG TEACHINGS


Boys cry too.



Why is this still a thing? Boys cry. Don't we know this by now???⁠



Apparently not, because we are still teaching and coaching boys and girls differently. We are human first. Humans cry. Whole Healthy Humans use all of their emotions appropriately and with great curiosity. ⁠



Sadness is not the only emotion we split into female/male dos and don'ts. What about rage? Depression? Embarrassment? What about fear? ⁠And creativity? Curiosity? Love? Joy?



Where do you fall on the it's okay to show this emotion and not that one wheel? Why do you feel this way? ⁠



Many times it's got to do with how you were raised. Did your parents show emotions and if so, how? Were emotions split into male and female? Most of my client's parents either boxed up emotions, took them behind closed doors, or exploded emotions all over the place. Many were shamed about experiencing emotions, especially any that contradicted their parent's POV on masculine or feminine. ⁠



So, now what? How do you let go of your old and outdated training on emotions and learn new ways to allow emotions to flow in a mature open way? ⁠



First, you must learn to name your emotions. 



Do you recognize fear? Anger? Sadness? Joy? Elation? If you do, then where does it sit in your body? Fear for me sits in my 3rd chakra - above my belly button. Anger for me sits in my liver, right under my right ribs. Resentment for me sits in my neck and shoulders. ⁠Joy sit in my entire body even inside my bones. 



Start by noticing your emotions hour by hour - Do this by setting your phone alarm to go off every hour to check in with yourself. Name these emotions to yourself or others, and see if you can locate them in your body. This is step one...⁠



Look at this as a game of Who AM I? Good luck ready player!

No comments:

Post a Comment