Monday, May 1, 2023

Author Interview with Emilia Ramos Samper


K
idLit ALERT!

Interview with 

Self-Published and One of the Youngest Authors

Emilia Ramos Samper





Welcome writers, blog readers, and creatives - Meet Emilia! 

We met on Instagram when she reached out for an interview. After checking out her account and website, I agreed! Emilia was first published at age ten. She's a powerhouse, visiting schools and promoting young people to read and write. Please enjoy her interview below, and let's cheer her on to even greater success as she continues her writing career! Go, Emilia! Go!


Emilia, you are one of the world’s youngest authors - at ten, you self-published your first novel. Why? Why did you want to write when most of your friends were probably playing…you were writing…. Why?

My writing journey occurred during the pandemic, so it was my way of escaping everything going on around me. While some of my friends escaped to their gaming consoles or TV screens, writing let me go into my own magical world where I could control everything. 


As you can imagine, some sense of control is incredibly important for a ten–year–old stuck in a global pandemic.



How did your first book sales go? 

My first book sales went alright, but it was difficult to find readers because I had so little knowledge about marketing. When you’re a kid, there’s still that idea that once you get your novel published, readers will magically appear. Even now, I’m pretty new to the marketing tactics common for most adults.


What tips do you have for young writers wanting to publish? 

For young writers, I’d say to make sure to focus on marketing and building your platform. It’s fun and will be really helpful when publishing your book.


How involved are your parents or guardians with your writing and author career? 

My parents are probably the most incredible people out there. From the get-go, they’ve always supported my dreams and believed in me as an author. Now, they trust me enough to handle pretty much everything in my author career alone, but they’re always there for me as shoulders to cry on or hands to hold after the occasional bad review.


What is your advice to aspiring authors? 


My advice would be this: write. 


Write what you love. Write what you think you’ll be absolutely terrible at… just write. Of course, classes, reading, and all the other things are fantastic too, but they aren’t excuses for stalling. I wrote my first book off of YouTube plotting tutorials and elementary English classes, so whatever level you’re at: write.


What’s the weird thing you do in your life that makes it easier for you to write? Example: I have a tiny singing bowl on my writing desk, and I clang it once before each chapter. 

I paint maps. My walls are covered with maps of the different kingdoms and worlds in my head. I guess it just makes them feel real for me. There is actually a map of Valaztein in Crown of Scales and Wonder that I designed myself.


There’s a yellow dragon on your website - what’s the significance of dragons for you? 


I decided to include
dragons in my book and website, because, in CSW, they serve as a metaphor for endangered animals. In school, I’ve learned about several species that are so magnificent, and yet they’re being hunted down for it. So, I wanted to create a story where dragons, despite their often negative connotation in literature, are seen for what they are: creatures of blood, pain, and sorrow with emotions just like ours.


Where did the story - Crown of Scales and Wonder - come from? 

The story for CSW came from everywhere, really. As a little kid, I always loved to travel. I had this undying curiosity for everything and everyone around me, so I loved to explore different cultures. Crown of Scales and Wonder was like my mind’s daydream version of all those beautiful sights and cultures on paper.


How do you get your writing ideas? Mine often come when I’m near water - the ocean or a lake or a waterfall. I’ll get an idea. How about you?

That’s so cool! Water is very inspiring. I usually get my ideas whenever I’m in the mountains. The views make you see everything differently… as if I were looking at a map from above instead of from inside.


Who did the artwork for your books? 

The artwork for my book was actually done by my older cousin. Since I was little, I always saw him sketching away in his notebook. The drawings had a magical quality to them, almost as if they were alive. Sometimes I think that his art influenced the book and not the other way around!


Why do you write what you write? What’s the reason for writing at all?

I find that I see inspiration in nearly everything. When I see something beautiful, I want to make something out of it. To have my own creation, storyline, characters, and world. Writing lets me escape the reality I’m in and just create something new, and better.


If I gave you a megaphone and the whole world would hear you: What one sentence would you yell?

Luck doesn’t realize dreams; 

only hard work does. 




You’ve spoken at schools to younger kids - what’s the funniest thing a kid has asked you about your writing or books? What’s the most interesting thing a kid has asked?

Ooh, one time a kid asked if I ever had a crush on one of my book characters... Haha, I guess the male romantic lead of my book was sort of created as the bad boy with a heart trope that I love! The most interesting thing a kid has asked was probably about how I craft my stories. Once, I had a whole conversation with this boy about story beats and character arcs


Do you belong to SCBWI or any other writer’s groups? 

Nothing in particular, but I do belong to certain groups on Instagram for writers. In the future, I’d like to start my own group to support teen writers.


How did you learn to write a complete novel? 

I took a couple of writing classes throughout my school years, and after getting the idea for the book, I did some online research on how to construct plot, characters, etc. I especially used the advice of Abbie Emmons, a writing vlogger who teaches the structure of story and internal conflict.



What writer’s tools do you use - do you have a specific plotting tool? 


I use
Dabble, a plotting tool for writers. Another thing that helps quite a bit is sticky notes: I jot down ideas that come to mind on sticky notes and paste them straight on the wall! It’s useful to get my thoughts organized.


Do you write the novel the whole way through without editing and then go back and edit? Or do you edit as you go?

I write it all out first before circling back to edit everything multiple times. This way, I can separate my critical editor eye from my creative writer brain.



Do you run your own social media accounts, or do you have help with them? What do you suggest to new writers about theirs?

I run my own social media accounts and am mainly only on Instagram right now. I am looking to start on TikTok, though! I’d tell young writers to start a social media account as soon as they can; it’s a very useful tool for getting yourself and your writing out there. 

As far as quick tips, I’d recommend:

Hashtags, hashtags, hashtags! (I didn’t start using them until a few months ago, and they’ve been super helpful)


Make friends; reach out to people and have genuine conversations


Why should other young people write? What are the benefits that you’ve gotten?

Other young people should write because it is the best possible way to cheer yourself up. For me, writing is like the closet leading to Narnia! Once I open my laptop, my day, no matter how terrible it began, is filled with magic and romance


Who is your biggest cheerleader? And how do you pay them back for their support?

I’d have to say my sister. She was the first one who I told about my idea and has supported me all throughout the process. My mom and dad also helped me out on my journey. Their support means a lot to me, so I make sure to always lend them my support, too. 


How do you find time with school and friends and family to write? 

It takes a lot of organization. Managing everything and still leaving myself free time involves a pretty strict schedule, so I practically leap at the chance to invite my friends over when I can. I do a lot of my writing during school; Free period, bus rides, and sometimes even class. 


There’s so much stress in the world, and it’s difficult sometimes to be creative - how do you keep yourself inspired? What types of tools do you use to relax or self-care things you do?

For me, inspiration comes from travel, movies, and books. There’s this stigma that self-care has to be a spa day with massages and gua-sha. I love all of that, but what truly gives me inspiration is often ugly crying to the Titanic on a fluffy couch munching on donuts. 


You’ve won some awards for your writing. How did you get your book put up for these awards? How can other writers get their books noticed for awards?

One of them was a contest for young writers called LaPlume, which I highly recommend for any kid or teen writers looking to start honing their craft. Other awards I’ve been recommended for due to my Instagram page and story as a young writer. I’d tell writers to do some research on small competitions and keep applying until they find a perfect fit!


Do you have an agent?  

Not currently, but it is something I’m looking into in the future.


Do you think you will try traditional publishing in the future or stay self-published? Why or why not?

I might explore traditional publishing in the future, but for now, I am very happy with self-publishing. I love having control over what I’m putting out into the world, and being on my own schedule is essential for keeping my academics up. 


Without a traditional publishing team (agent, editor, publisher), how do you get everything done? How do you book school visits? How do you get put on lists? How do you get your book in bookstores?

It takes a lot of grit and a lot of rejection. It all comes down to knowing how to pitch yourself and your work. (aka, the perfect email or DM). Being short, sweet, and to the point is crucial. 


What words of advice that helped you would you like to share with my blog readers?

You haven’t tried everything until you’ve accomplished your dream. There is always another person to call, another email to send your work to. 




Do you feel you are treated with the same respect older authors get? Do you feel adults treat you as seriously as other writers? If not, what should they do to be better at this?

Sometimes yes, but oftentimes no. It is sad to see so many young authors shy away from their dreams because they are intimidated by toxic advice on the internet about young writers.

To improve this, adults can try to look at teen and kid writers as writers. 

Just writers. 

Yes, people like me have much less experience than most writers, but there is something so magical about kids writing for kids, don’t you think? Besides, if adults foster the creativity of these young authors, just imagine how incredible their craft is when they grow up!


Where will you be in 5 years? What are your writing goals? What do you dream of?

In five years, I’ll be graduating high school, hopefully with a trilogy behind me. I’ll be moving into a little apartment in New York to study creative writing at a great college and pursue my dreams. My goal, more than anything, is to create a fandom; a world readers dream of seeing.




What one question would you ask yourself: How do you plan to support young writers like yourself in the future?

In the future, I want to create an Instagram group and account for young writers where I can walk them through every step of the process, from writing to publishing to marketing. I want to create a space for young writers where they can feel truly seen and supported. The dream support group for young writers that I never had.


Wow, Emilia! You are on your path to becoming one of the world's greatest writers. Choosing a path at such a young age is quite an accomplishment. I bow to you, young author, and hope to meet you in person someday. Keep going! 


If you would like to support Emilia on her path here are the ways to reach out:

Emila Instagram

Emilia's Website

Emilia's Book on Amazon 

Emilia's Pinterest 





And as always - if you'd like to be on Teazurs Blog, email Angie @ angazur@ gmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment