Thursday, June 29, 2023

Interview with Founder of Artist Madrid Books: Caitlyn P.W. Jones



KidLit Alert!


Interview with Caitlyn P. W. Jones


Author and Founder of Artist Madrid Books






Caitlyn, you are the founder of Artist Madrid Books. How did this endeavor come about? Why get involved in publishing?

Artist Madrid Books is the name of my indie publishing company, founded in 2021. I've had a lifelong passion for books and a dream to one day become a writer. However, for a long time, I didn't see any way for me to pursue writing other than as a hobby.


Then in 2020, the world shut down.


I was on maternity leave with my daughter and felt a little aimless. In the small moments of quiet, when she decided to sleep, I wrote her a poem that became the inspiration for my first book, "Some Days". After writing the poem, I decided to find an illustrator and publish it because I could not find any similar books with characters that looked like her. After going through the self-publishing process, I knew I wanted to share these nuggets of wisdom with others. Thus, Artist Madrid Books was born.



You care about diverse books. Why do we need to buy books with different protagonists or different ways of living?

As an author, we are alchemists of the written word, taking a simple idea and creating vibrant characters and spectacular worlds. Readers may feel more comfortable with a book where the protagonist is similar to themselves, which is great! I believe everyone should have a comfort read.


However, I feel books that allow you to see life,

whether made-up or real,

through a different person's eyes

should be on all bookshelves.



You are an Indie Published author. The title is Some Days - what is this book and the background of it?

"Some Days" is a children's board book from the point of view of a little girl. She describes how every day with her mother is a little different. Some days her mother is sick, and they have to change their plans. The book ends with the mother reassuring her daughter: “I love you, sweet little one. I love you each and every day!”


As I mentioned, this book was inspired by my relationship with my daughter. Being someone who deals with chronic illness, I never want her to feel she is the cause of my “bad days”. The book is for young ones up to 4 years old and uses engaging, vibrant illustrations to tell the story.


Numerous parents have told me that this book was as comforting to them as it was to their children, even those without health/mental issues. After reading it with their little ones, I hope parents are able to give themselves a little more grace. Parenting is hard, and we all have bad days.





Some Days won the 2022 Children’s Book Expo ICMe Award in Atlanta, Georgia. Awesome! What did that mean to you? How can other writers get their books out there for awards? 

Children’s Book Expo ICMe Awardees represent outstanding books that highlight diversity in children’s literature.


When I found out that my first book had won,

I cried.


Writing a book is a labor of love, and it’s always validating to have someone else say that you’ve done a great job. I tell my clients to submit their books for as many awards as possible. This can be costly since most have a submission fee. However, there are some that are free to enter or have relatively low cost. If it is in your budget, it is definitely worth it!


What are the genres of the books that Artist Madrid Books has published so far, and why did you choose them?

At this time, we have published or assisted with publishing 15 books with at least 7 more in the works from around the world. It has definitely been a busy two years! At the moment, we are focusing on children and a few young adult projects. I make sure that all the books we publish represent diverse and unique experiences.

I especially love it when I get to work with authors who’ve written a book for their own children because they haven’t been able to find that topic with diverse characters in the current marketplaces. Then I get to help them introduce their story to the world.


How can we get people to buy diverse books? 


The simple answer is:

Make more books with

authentic diverse characters available.


When you look at the percentage of diverse representation in children’s books, the numbers are dismal. The more complicated answer is we need more diverse authors, and we need to help authors feel comfortable telling their unique stories. Truthfully, many authors do not have access to traditional publishing. I feel like the explosion of self-published books in recent years has been amazing, but we still have a long way to go.


Encouraging writing and literacy

from a young age is also important.


I am thrilled for the past two years, Artist Madrid Books has been able to host a Youth Writing Contest for children 4 to 10 years old. The grand prize winner even gets their book idea published.



If I gave you a megaphone and the whole world would listen: What one sentence would you shout?


If you have been hesitant about writing,

I want to let you know

someone out there needs your story!


What is your Debut fantasy novel’s title? How did you come up with it, and what is its meaning?

My debut portal fantasy novel, "Adjacent to the Truth” will be published through Artist Madrid Books YA Disivion.  I am so excited that it is becoming a reality because I’ve been working on this manuscript for the past 4 years.

The title comes from a line in the book: "It has long been proven that beings cannot be trusted with their own story. They cannot be humble enough, objective enough to tell a tale in truth. They always add a flourish here or there, cover over a mistake, and then proudly sing their praises. So it can be said that anyone who tells their own story is only telling a tale adjacent to the truth."


What does Portal YA mean? What makes this story unique?

Portal fantasy is a subgenre of the wider fantasy genre. My novel’s plot follows two teenage girls, one from an alternate world and one from one like our own. The alternate world I created is a mysterious place with lush forests and the dangerous creatures that roam them. It’s a land forgotten by time and steeped in tradition. Through the protagonists' alternating points of view, readers get to experience these two different settings filled with endearing and authentic diverse characters. 

The combination of suspenseful elements found in other genres blends with the creative world-building to make this novel unique; each chapter brings fresh revelations about both worlds as our protagonists discover secrets that could change both worlds forever.



Why are you the perfect writer to have written this novel?

I have enjoyed reading young adult fantasy and sci-fi books for the past 20 years. And I’ve definitely learned a thing or two. I’ve enjoyed writing a story my way and infusing it with experiences I have had as a minority. 

I want readers to get lost in my story, imagine new cultures and customs, think about what makes us all unique, and find courage in the characters’ struggles. This portal fantasy novel has it all: It’s thrilling, filled with emotion, humorous, and thought-provoking. While this story tackles difficult topics, it does so in a manner that makes it suitable even for younger teens. I really do hope readers have as much fun reading it as I have writing it.


What is the main theme in this novel? 

I’ve really worked to provide realistic examples of different interpersonal relationships. I want this to be something that my daughter can enjoy when she is a teenager, but more importantly, I want to not romanticize toxic relationships. Throughout the book, readers will be able to clearly see the different types of relationships; healthy, toxic, and everything in between.


I think it’s important for young adults to

understand what a healthy relationship looks like

and not be influenced by

toxic relationships, sometimes portrayed in literature.


This is especially true when it comes to romantic relationships, as this can often shape how young adults approach relationships later in life. So, I made sure that the protagonist's primary relationship was one built on trust and mutual respect, with both parties supporting each other through their individual journeys of self-discovery.




You say you are looking for ARC and Beta participants. How can these readers work with you?

If my teaser has piqued your interest and you like receiving free books, I recommend applying to be a part of Artist Madrid Books Review Panel (Beta Readers Needed). We are currently looking for beta readers and will begin the ARC selection process in September. Both Beta and advanced copy readers will provide invaluable feedback and buzz about the book before its official launch this fall.


What advice do you have for YA writers?

Besides writing as much as possible, this is the advice I have for all writers:


If you don’t know what to write about, go out and live.

If you don’t know how to write, stay in and read.


What are your goals for the next year? Five? Ten?

I hope to continue to grow my publishing company, be able to grow the Artist Madrid Books family, and focus a bit more on my own writing. At first, I thought “Adjacent to the Truth” would be a stand-alone novel, but as I’m moving into further revisions, I am considering a sequel. I see endless possibilities on how I can continue the story. Either way, I will definitely continue on my author journey and be able to assist other writers to get their stories out there.

_____________________________________


Awesome, Caitlyn! Thank you for sharing your writer's journey and your new love - Publishing. I absolutely love your quote for advice for writers! So true. Let's rally behind this new self-publishing house, hoping that more diverse writers sitting on a unique POV manuscript will query Artist Madrid Books.


Writers - Artist Madrid Books wants your diverse POVs. You can do this. We need diverse books!


Connect with Caitlyn or Artist Madrid Books:

Links:

Author Coaching Now Available: https://artistmadridbooks.com/self-publishing/

Artist Madrid Books Titles: https://artistmadridbooks.com/books/

My Author Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authorcpw/

The Artist Madrid Books Podcast: https://artistmadridbooks.podbean.com/



And as always - if you'd like. to be interviewed, reach out. I love promoting writers and bookish people.

**Note: There is a waitlist right now.**
























No comments:

Post a Comment