Friday, August 19, 2022

Interview with Elizabeth Rawls

KidLit Alert: The Extraordinary Illustrator & Writer


Elizabeth Rawls



I am delighted to introduce Elizabeth Rawls....an amazing and kind... Illustrator/Writer I met years ago in San Francisco. Her heart has always been one of sharing, teaching, and guiding. No wonder she's a volunteer for SCBWI. 

If you don't know Elizabeth, you should! She's one of the most loyal and friendly writers you'll have the pleasure to meet. Go up to her at the conference and introduce yourself. It will be a treat! 

Enjoy reading more about her below.


You’ve got a great headshot on your illustrator website www.ebrawlsart.com Who is the photographer? 

I am so fortunate that my son-in-law Mitch is an amateur photographer! He took my headshot and did a beautiful job. 


Do you recommend professional shots for writers and artists?

Because of my volunteer work with SCBWI (Society of Book Writers and Illustrators), it was important to me to have a headshot so I could be easily recognized, and professionally I preferred a photograph on my website. Most illustrators and authors have professional headshots especially when they get published so I would encourage a headshot for your website if at all possible.


 

I see you are part counselor, part artist - how do these two worlds blend in your illustrations? 


I was a mental health counselor for many years. I had my own private practice, then worked at Central Michigan University along with volunteer work at Hospice of Central Michigan. During this time, I counseled college students, facilitated grief groups, and developed a grief camp for children called Camp Bravery. I was especially drawn to working with children, and with an undergraduate degree in art, picture books seemed like a natural fit. 




What emotion/s are the most difficult to draw for you? 


What I find challenging is not so much drawing difficult emotions but creating a story for young readers that is neither preachy nor boring but has substance. I am still working on this :-)

 



You are the assistant regional advisor for the SCBWI Carolinas Region - what does that mean, and what do you do?


I am part of a SCBWI Regional Team that consists of a Regional Advisor (Erica Wood), another Assistant Regional Advisor (Becky Shillington), and an Illustrator Coordinator (Ashley Belote). 


I mention the Team because we do everything together, such as planning conferences, online workshops, managing volunteer coordinators, email accounts, etc. I love being part of the Team. They “have my back” as we share the workload making volunteering for SCBWI  just FUN! 


These women are so bright and innovative. Everything seems easy and enjoyable. I am so grateful to be partnering with them and supporting those in the Carolinas with a passion for children's books.

 



You love to hike - which is your favorite route in North Carolina?


We used to own a log home in Boone, NC which has a lot of wonderful hikes along the Blue Ridge highway. Now that we have relocated to Durham, NC, and bought electric bikes, we absolutely love the American Tobacco Trail, which is a paved rails to trails. 


I sometimes feel guilty riding my E-Bike because it seems like cheating, but I love pedaling long distances (with an assist from the motor) early in the morning with the wind in my hair, hearing the sounds of birds, and watching the sunrise.

 



You have amazing artwork on Instagram   https://www.instagram.com/ebrawlsart/  @Ebrawlsart - has Instagram helped you find agents/book deals/publishers? 


Thank you for the kind words about my art. I really appreciate it! I am pre-published and currently looking for an agent. I am in the process of submitting my book dummy “Calamity Wayne '' which is a humorous ‘tail’ about finding one’s talent while learning to care for others along the way (I love puns). 


So far, I have gotten very nice rejections which I count as a “win” as opposed to no response at all. 


I have learned to trust the process 


and keep doing what I love. 



As far as Instagram, most art directors will look up an illustrator's work on that platform, so I use it. I also participate in #KidLitArtPostcard, which is on Twitter, instead of sending actual postcards to art directors. 


I am on Instagram (@ebrawlsart), FaceBook (elizabeth.rawls.750) and Twitter (@EBRawlsArt).

 



What animal is your favorite to draw and illustrate?


I am really enjoying giraffes right now . . . like my Yoga Giraffe

 

 




 

Where is your next writer’s conference you are attending, and why should other illustrators and writers go?


My next conference is, of course, the Carolinas Fall Conference called “Swinging into Kidlit” from September 30 - October 2nd. I am biased because I helped select the diverse faculty, and there is a lot to offer for writers & illustrators. 


I also had the honor of my banner being selected for the conference by (outside of the region) judges, so this event is very special to me.


 


 

What medium is your favorite, and why do you use it?


I am a traditionally trained artist and love to work in watercolor and ink. I also use Photoshop to correct any mistakes and enhance my watercolors. I love the feel of paper and watercolor. This medium can be hard to control, but I love the challenge and actually find the process relaxing, fun, and surprising.

 



What one thing do you wish you would’ve been told as a young illustrator just starting out in the children’s book world?


One of the best ways I have learned to let my creativity flow is to not take myself so seriously. That concept has taken me a long time to understand. 


When I decided to not worry about being published and just become curious about my images, their stories, and how I could delight young readers, my creative energy began to flow. However, when I try to control the outcome and feel fearful about the future, I find my images are stiff, boring, and no fun!

 



How has the pandemic affected you and your art?


When the pandemic started, I felt a lot of uncertainty and fear of the future. Everything I thought would never change, did. I was really forced to “go inward” and examine my values, specifically, what was important to me, or live in a highly anxious and hypervigilant state. 


Through this introspection, I found meditation, which I really love, and also puzzles. I meditate 20 minutes a day which helps center me and also allows me to focus on my body. I am much more aware of what my body is trying to tell me i.e., I am not breathing deeply, or I am too anxious or tight, etc. 


I also found that my husband of 39 years and I love doing puzzles together. Nothing is better than having a glass of wine, relaxing, and working a puzzle together. What bliss. 




Oh, and what bliss reading about you and your work. Thank you, Elizabeth, for sharing your creative self with us. It's always a pleasure to learn from you.




To contact Elizabeth:


Email her: ebrawlsart (at) gmail.com


Check out her website: https://www.ebrawlsart.com/


Follow her on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ebrawlsart/



See you at the SCBWI Carolinas Conference!!


If you are curious about the conference, follow this link:

https://www.scbwi-carolinas-events.org/


Oh, and by the way, Elizabeth...Camp Bravery - sounds like a book to me!!! 

I look forward to reading your first book soon.





Write~on

Angie Azur

Follow Angie on Instagram



1 comment:

  1. What an excellent interview! Thank you, Angie and Elizabeth. I love the art you shared, Elizabeth, and I learned things I did not know! You are so talented and I can't wait to see where your author/illustrator career takes you! :-)

    ReplyDelete