Tuesday, October 29, 2013

TAHOE Writer's Retreat 2013 & Mentor Program

Wow. That's really all I can say about this past weekend's Tahoe retreat and Mentor Program run by Ellen Hopkins and her amazing crew of mentors.







The Mentors:
Ellen Hopkins
Tera Lynn Childs
Terri Farley
Susan Hart Lindquist
Elizabeth Law
E.B. Lewis
Jenny MacKay
Heather Petty
Suzanne Williams
Jim Averbeck
David Diaz


The Agent:
Sarah Davies - The Greenhouse Literary Agency




I went to this retreat because I wanted to talk with the mentees about their mentors and see if it might be something I'd be interested in in the future. And I can tell you right now -- I AM! In fact, I wish I would have tried to get into this program this year.



It's the best of writer and illustrator, mentor, and mentee camaraderie. I hated to leave them as they went on to stay another night, while the non-mentees had to say goodbye. 



But it was one of the best writer's retreats I've ever gone to. The small critique groups comprised 3 - 6 writers and one mentor. 



Everyone's work was above par. I enjoyed all the critique and believe that it has made my manuscript 1000 times stronger.



I also got to meet one on one with Sarah Davies. I not only loved her ideas for my first chapter, but I also loved her British accent! 



I have to give a shout-out to the staff at the lodge and the food. The staff comprised the most polite group of college students and young adults I have ever come in contact with. They always said hello with a smile and went out of their way to make us all feel welcome. And the food was amazing. There were plenty of choices for even the pickiest of eaters….me. My belly was happy!





A big thank you to Ellen and her awesome group! I hope to be chosen for the mentor program of 2014. 





Good luck to all those in this year's program. I am looking forward to reading your books and seeing your illustrations. 


You all rock!




Write~on
Angie




No comments:

Post a Comment