Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Vision Boards


  • Dream Boards 
  • Vision Board 
  • Law of Attraction
  • Goals 
  • All the same thing





This weekend at the SCBWI SF North & East Bay Region Fall Conference I will be teaching my first ever Dream Board class. Why? Because I believe they work.

The vision board puts your ideas and goals into a space that you can see with your eyes. It's a place that allows you to concentrate on, and visualize your desires.


Some of you might say, I don't need one because I am so focused, and obtain my goals as is. That could be true for you. I have hit many goals in my life without a dream board. But, I am very driven, and tend to stay on task, especially before I had children. 

Now, like many of my peers, I feel scattered. I feel like I don't have time to focus on what I really want when I am focusing on my family, and what they want and what they need. So, the dream board helps me get focused now. 


The idea is that if you, once a day, take the time to acknowledge your desires, goals, and the direction you want to head, you can help them to come true. This does not mean that you simply have to look at the word WRITER or ILLUSTRATOR and you will become one. But, it is a first step in the right direction.








The vision board can list many ideas, and goals at once too. Or, it can be very narrow in scope. Mine mixes writing, with health, family and love. But, you can choose to do yours with words and pictures on one subject. It all depends on your ideas about where you want to be or where you see yourself in the future.





The reason I started vision boarding was this story:

A psychologist….and I am sorry I forgot his name (I'll keep trying to find it)…. was playing around with the idea of visualizing where he wanted to be. He wasn't married, and lived in a city that did not excite him. He started his vision board as a project for study, and for self-interest. He cut out virtues of a person he would like to find to date, he also cut out a house, a city, and a career he hoped and dreamed for.


After many months, his studies took him to other things. He put his dream boards away and concentrated on those. He had to move across the country for his job, started dating, and bought a house once he got engaged. Five years later, he was unpacking the last remaining boxes in his office and came across his dream boards. He was blown away by what he saw. The virtues of the woman he wanted to find fit his wife to a T. The house was almost an exact replica. And he was in a city that he loved in California. It had all come true.




Now, I look at my board and see many things that have come true for me. And, I believe it's because I set real goals, and thought about them everyday. Even through changing diapers, preschool, moving twice, and elementary school starts. Using a dream board, helped me stay focused. Then, I set out to find classes, workshops, and friends that would help me to reach my goals.


I haven't reached all of them, but I am on my way. And, you will be too. 





 
Good Luck and as always,
Write~on

Angie

1 comment:

  1. Lots of great information here. I hope people will understand how to create the Vision Board.

    ReplyDelete