I met Sarah through real estate. I moved to Marin over a year ago. It took us a while to find the perfect home for our family. But when we found it, we knew. When I walked into my new kitchen for the very first time, there was a bottle of wine, and a folder, filled with appliance information, and a lovely note. At the end of the welcome letter, was a phone number and a line that said call anytime if you need anything.
I didn't call that day, but a few weeks later I received mail for the previous owners. So I called the number and got a recording. I left a message.
A few minutes later my phone rang and it was that cell number. I contemplated not picking up because I really didn't want to talk, I just wanted to get her mail to her. But I answered.
"Hi, is this Angie?" she said. "Yes," I said. "I have some of your mail. Where would you like me to send it?" There was a pause. "Hold on, I'm on air, can I call you back?"
I had no idea what on air meant. "Sure," I said.
An hour went by and she called back. We started to chat and I asked, "What does on air mean?" She laughed.
I didn't know she was a radio talk show person. From there our friendship has grown. She's invited me to play-dates to meet other moms at our school. She's been really cool, and so helpful. She's even got me liking hot yoga! So when she calls herself "bitchy" in this interview...don't believe it! She's a best friend to her friends. She loves animals and takes care of the Earth. I don't call that bitchy, I call that admirable.
Below are the questions I asked her.
1. What's the best thing about your job? Worst?the best thing about my job is hard to put into words...it's kinda like having a feeling of relevance - like you fit into the community in this strange way...a little bit differently for everyone who listens. so maybe the best thing about my job is that i get to meet people who are essentially strangers, but you're in their lives and they have a story for you and you get to see yourself through their eyes. it's weirdly wonderful.
the worst thing is getting up at 4am.
2. Describe your show in 5 wordsfunny, stupid, smart, relaxed, different
it's awful and you might not want to use it because i'm sure some animal activist will be really upset by it. when i had my horse i was a teenager and hung out with my best friend, traci and her horse. my horse, shannon, was skittish and hyper, which was easily combatted by smoking pot and blowing it up her nostrils. you know how horses have huge nostrils? i would wait until i felt her breath out and then breathe the smoke into her nose on her inhale. she LOVED it, i'm not kidding. and she was sooooo mellow afterward. do you hate me? (OMG - I don't hate you....a little worried about you, but not hate. Does it work on dogs?)
3. A favorite activity of yours is horseback riding. What's the funniest horse story?
4. Do you own a "Vote for Pedro" shirt?no, but if i saw one i would buy it. i suppose i could make one, couldn't i? tina! come get some ham!
5. What's the most embarrassing thing you've said on air?god, i say some stupid thing every day. i have revealed things that in retrospect should have been kept secret. like that i slept with an ex-boyfriend to get a guitar, i've had crabs, i fell onto my friend in yoga class. (LOL)
6. You love to do yoga…any favorite poses? Ever fallen in class?no, i've never fallen in class. (um...she fell on me) favorite pose? the one at the end where you just lay there.
7. Ski or snowboard?
jeffery ross, the roast master on comedy central, said i was dressed like his grandma. it hurt.
8. What's the oddest thing an interviewee has said to you?
9. Has Vinnie ever hit on you? Have you ever hit on Vinnie?no way, man! especially at this point in our relationship, he's like my little brother.
no, but i've made them mad at me. lots of family members have called me out on my hyperbole and john has been super pissed because i said he wears a pair of my jeans. oh, and that he watches gay porn.
10. Ever lost a friend because you revealed too much about them on the radio?
11. When a crazy fan chases you down – hugs or no hugs?it depends, truly. i'm a big hugger, but i get bummed out if someone has a lot of perfume or cologne on and now i'm wearing it, too. generally, though, i hug. i really appreciate that people give me a little of their time in the mornings.
i've been pretty lucky (knock wood) that i've never really had anyone get obsessed and send in like a fingertip or lock of pubic hair or anything. i get lots of stuff that people want mentioned, so i never know if it's just personal for me most of the time. lots of books, lots of sex toys (fun!) lots of food...today i got a necklace that has four interchangeable tiles you insert into the pendant. two were just pretty patterns, one had the alice logo on it and one had the patriot's logo on it. so i guess whatever i'm in the mood for...LOL!
12. What's the weirdest thing a fan has sent you in the mail?
13. Favorite band?if i have to pick one, it has to be zeppelin.
14. Thoughts on going national with your show? Writing a book?i started writing a book a few years ago, it was basically a collection of rants called "shut up and mind your own business." i started with, why the fuck does anyone care if gay people get married? and moved on to dog owners who don't pick up their dog's shit. then i ran out of steam. i'm sure it's on my computer here somewhere.
we used to talk about syndicating our show, but with the internet, it's harder than ever to do. we are such a local show, too, you hear about shows that try to go national and lose the things that were special about them to begin with because they have to really take it down to work in other markets. seems like a lot of work to me. i like being relaxed and not working too hard. lazy!
i prefer actual people interviews to celebrities, because celebs have generally done so many interviews that it's super difficult to connect with them. it's hard to find a way at them that hasn't been traveled before. but it's SO FUN to take a random person (as i'm sure my interviewer knows - having visited my show) and just find out what's interesting about them. it's always so unexpected.
15. Who would you like to interview next? Why?
16. What one word describes you?bitchy
17. When you get a negative review or hate mail – how do you cope?frankly, i get so much feedback, positive and negative that i don't believe any of it. i have pretty thick skin and it's really true, you simply cannot please everyone. so i just let whatever is going to fall out of my mouth fall, occasionally stick my foot in there, i've said my share of apologies and when a nasty text or email comes through, i sigh and hope that they'll like me better tomorrow. i can't obsess over it all day - not saying i haven't - but nothing good comes from beating yourself up over someone else's opinion. besides, they probably got it off their chest, feel better about it and have moved on.
18. What/Who makes you believe in yourself?my parents were great about that - as a kid i can clearly remember my mom and dad always telling me i could be anything i wanted to be. and they really put up with a lot of "dreams" from me as i look back on it. now it's my husband, john, my closest friends, my co-workers on the show. i'm really surrounded by pretty incredible people - i try to cut any negative influences out quickly.
download my podcasts and write reviews of them! www.radioalice.com <http://www.radioalice.com>
19. How can my blog readers help you to become an even bigger success?
or write a nice letter to my boss, michael martin, saying how much you like my show. even if you've never heard it. really, do it, it will be great writing practice!!
20. Any strange fears? Arachnophobia? Fear of long words? Clowns? Buttons?just the usual stuff, falling; geese; large, snarling dogs. growing older; being up shit creek without a paddle...